Jessi's Reviews > American Gods

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Jun 20, 12

bookshelves: fairy-tales, six-stars-your-a-superstar, wolves-jessi-s-wolf-shelf, yeah-i-d-hit-that-boycrushes
Read from March 16 to 29, 2012

Ok so I have read a few reviews for this and a lot of people have mentioned the hype about this book, well I was unaware I think American Gods came out my last year of high school and I will be honest my darlings I was not up on hyped books at that point.

So with no great expectations I began the epic journey/road trip of American Gods
HolyFuckingShit
This book knocked me on my ass. I never knew where this story was taking me with a cast of fantastic characters led by a Mr. Wednesday. Mr. Wednesday got me excited about this book, an old grifter, who has as many secrets as he does tricks and has a style that no matter what he was doing you are entertained.
He speaks like Royal Tenenbaum, do you know who loved Royal Tenenbaum?
I LOVED Royal Tenenbaum.

A few Mr. Wednesday Gems

"Oh. You're up," said Wednesday, putting his head around the door. "That's good. You want coffee? We're going to rob a bank."

Wednesday had announced that they were not to take freeways because he didn't know whose side the freeways were on

Wednesday slammed the car door when he got in, and sat there in silence, his face red with rage. He said, "Drive." Then he said, "Fucking Albanians. Like anybody cares."

The main character is Shadow. Shadow is a big dumb looking Ex Con that is sensitive, caring and intelligent. I fell in love with Shadow immediately, like picking a china pattern love. Shadow is released from prison a few days early because his wife, Laura has died in a car accident (with a few slutty overtones) and now is somewhat lost as how to continue, enter Wednesday and let the adventure begin.
Apparently HBO is making this into a mini-series which is jumpy claps situation (I love HBO),I lovethe way they have handled Game of Thrones I have complete faith in this being amazing. That being said…

Dear HBO a few quick casting ideas from a faithful viewer.
Shadow
My brother says Viggo Mortenson
Viggo Mortensen

But I am thinking more Rory Mccann, he is 6 ft 6 and I would climb him like a tree (overshare?)

For Laura I’m thinking Anna Friel

Christina Hendricks for Easter

Low-Key Lysmith = Mr Mark Strong… He is such a BADASS

And Mr. Nancy to George Harris

I already mentioned Gene Hackman above, Google says he has retired from the acting world, do you know what will help this situation? A big suitcase of money, I am sure of it! Actually I find that cures most of what ails anyone, What? We are living in a material world and I am a material girl. Back to the book…read it.
Love Jessi

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Gods.

03/19/2012
22.0% "I am loving this so far. The names I tell you fantastic! Shadow, Mr.Wendsday, Mr. Nancy and LowKey."
03/19/2012
22.0% "oh oh oh !!! Is Lowkey actually Loki???? this may be a shot in the dark but sounds the same non?"
03/23/2012
51.0% "I have no idea where this story is going, but I have a huge crush on Shadow."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jessi Halfway through my reveiw the Italic's have claimed the rest of this review as theirs. html what up?????

message 2: by Jo (last edited Mar 29, 2012 01:02PM) (new)

Jo Someone mentioned The Royal Tenenbaums?!

(ps. Great review, Jessi! Consider me intrigued!)

Synesthesia maybe i will get HBO if they do this right. I love this book. Did you read Anansi's boys? I love that one too.

Stephen Great review, Jessi. I'm glad you loved this one.

Jessi Synesthesia wrote: "maybe i will get HBO if they do this right. I love this book. Did you read Anansi's boys? I love that one too."

No I have not,I will for sure check it out!

Jessi Stephen wrote: "Great review, Jessi. I'm glad you loved this one."

This is definitely an all-time fav, so enjoyed it!

Jessi Jo wrote: "Someone mentioned The Royal Tenenbaums?!

(ps. Great review, Jessi! Consider me intrigued!)"

Thanks Jo! I loved that movie and basically everything Royal said.

Manuel De Pool Great review! But what amazed me was the cast you picked! They're all awesome!

Jessi Manuel wrote: "Great review! But what amazed me was the cast you picked! They're all awesome!"

Thanks!!! I am glad you liked them because I spent way too much time thinking about it lol, I cast everything I read..Its a problem :)

Shovelmonkey1 I've got this right at the top of the TBR pile. I nearly started reading it a few days ago and went with Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell instead because so many people also five-starred that and it is also a kitten squisher book which i want to go away from me and not making me trip over it when I leave it on the floor.

Cedar this is one of my all time favourite books, although apparently Neverwhere is better? How I am not sure as I just absolutely love this. I am a huge fan of Neil Gaiman.

Super excited re the HBO project as HBO make everything awesome tho. I have heard that Disney have the Graveyard book, which is also a great read.

My absolute fav is Laura tho. bless.

Jessi Cedar wrote: "this is one of my all time favourite books, although apparently Neverwhere is better? How I am not sure as I just absolutely love this. I am a huge fan of Neil Gaiman.

Super excited re the HBO pro..."

I am gonna start Neverwhere soon, it is on my Kobo ready to go I just don't want to run out of Gaiman books and I just finished 3 in the row,

Anansi Boys, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch loved The Anansi boys so much!

message 13: by Renetta (new) - added it

Renetta I was completely on the fence about this book until I read your review because I TOO LOVED Royal Tenenbaum!

Jessi Renetta wrote: "I was completely on the fence about this book until I read your review because I TOO LOVED Royal Tenenbaum!"

Yay!!! I find you cast someone you like in a book it is gonna up the enjoyment level everytime

message 15: by Renetta (new) - added it

Renetta Jessi wrote: "Renetta wrote: "I was completely on the fence about this book until I read your review because I TOO LOVED Royal Tenenbaum!"

Yay!!! I find you cast someone you like in a book it is gonna up the e..."

I completely agree! My daughter and I cast Sandra Bullock in One For the Money on a rainy weekend while camping... it was a read aloud. Very enjoyable!

Thanks for the recommendation, just finished, I loved
Anansi Boys!

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Sill Thanks to your review, I just started American Gods. You had me at "HOLYFUCKINGSHIT!"

Jessi Rachel wrote: "Thanks to your review, I just started American Gods. You had me at "HOLYFUCKINGSHIT!""

Rachel you made my day! Thanks so much!