Lauren's Reviews > The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom

The Four Agreements by Miguel Ruiz

F_50x66
Sep 27, 11

Read in September, 2011

This book was highly recommended by a coworker. I was pretty excited to get into it, but I soon realized the book was full of nonsensical fluff. I feel like the 100-some odd page book could be shortened to 10 pages. It's basically a reminder to people to stop being egocentric and assuming, and to be kind to yourself and others. I thought the examples were a bit irrelevant and unrealistic. I don't have the book in front of me, but there was one Secret-esque example that if you tell a friend he looks like he has cancer, and he agrees, he will have cancer within one year. Um... I don't even know what to say about that. I do believe in the "power of the word", as the author does, but I'm not sure that I can "cast a spell on someone with my words" (as Hitler did, in Ruiz's example... seriously? I get the comparison, I guess, but isn't this a self-improvement book?).

Maybe I'm missing something, because everyone else seems to love this text. I feel like this could have been written as an article and would then MAYBE be a worthwhile read.

I'd recommend this book to very bad people who don't know how to be nice to themselves or others. Otherwise, save yourself the time and $8.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Four Agreements.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Vickie "I'd recommend this book to very bad people" has me laughing out loud. Great comment.