Carolyn Lind's Reviews > The Grapes of Wrath

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

Sep 27, 11

bookshelves: cd-tape, historical-fiction

Dylan Baker's performance in this CD is really outstanding. Highly recommend it to both those who have previously read The Grapes of Wrath and those who have never read it.

Our current economic and political climate gives new life to this amazing classic: "And the great owners....the great owners with access to history, with eyes to read history and to know the great fact: when property accumulates in too few hands it is taken away. And that companion fact: when a majority of the people are hungry and cold they will take by force what they need. And the little screaming fact that sounds through all history: repressiion works only to strengthen and knit the repressed."

And Ma may have a message for both Pa and the politicians of today: "Rich fellas come up an' they die, an' their kids ain't no good an' they die out. But we keep a'comin'. We're the people that live. They can't wipe us out; they can't lick us. We'll go on forever, Pa, 'cause we're the people."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grapes of Wrath.