zxvasdf's Reviews > Finnegans Wake

Finnegans Wake by James Joyce

Sep 27, 2011

bookshelves: never-too-late, to-read
Read from September 27, 2011 to January 24, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finnegans Wake.

09/27/2011 page 1
0.0% "Have read this book non-linearly for an inconsistent length of time. This would mark the thousandth serious effort to read from page one to page one by myself... I'll be putting down occassional observations and interpretations of the text from my relatively uneducated standpoint, basically dredging meaning from the available tools in my skull."
01/24/2012 page 1
0.0% "I'm a miserable failure. Perhaps this is an undertaking for my mid-life crisis—way cheaper than buying a porsche."

message 1: by Charity (new)

Charity How's it going? Able to read it from page 1 to whatever?

zxvasdf no... ugh. i read for fifteen minutes or less whenever i can. it's surprising i finished that many books in a year. oh boy.

though i'm familiar with the first sentence, having tried to understand it without historical reference. riverrun

message 3: by Robyn (new)

Robyn you have to get an annotated copy or a reader's guide or something. seriously I did that for ulysses and it was so cool going between the two books and finally figuring out what was going through joyce's brilliant, brilliant and jumbled mind. amazing when you finally have a reference point to refer to. otherwise it's... hmm. both ulysses and finnegan's wake are on the bookshelves over here, let me know if you want to read ulysses and I'll send it along!

zxvasdf Hey, I have the skeleton key by Campbell. It's been suggested in Lucia Joyce: To Dance in the Wake that Finnegan's Wake is also a secret history of their family. Anna Livia Plurabelle's thought to be based on Lucia, who did dance dangerously close to the Wake, with her schizophrenia, if that's what it was.

I've read Ulysses (and own the book) and plan to tackle it again someday with a better frame of reference. Not anytime soon though, while my days are filled. Thanks for the offer anyways!