Lisa's Reviews > Who's Afraid of Post-Blackness? What it Means to Be Black Now

Who's Afraid of Post-Blackness? What it Means to Be Black Now by Touré

Oct 05, 11

Read from September 27 to October 05, 2011

Meh. Maybe 2.5 for me. I'm honestly super interested in the subject matter, but didn't take away a ton from this book. Perhaps if I were less "post-Black", I would feel more illuminated. Unfortunately (in this case), I guess I am. Some of the anecdotes were charming or heartbreaking, but this felt a lot like a rehash of the same dinner table conversation I've been having since I was a child.

Also, the book read a bit like Toure's Public Therapy Session. I can see many Black folks nodding in approval or finding the thing offputting -- hard not to have a reaction to the book, especially with some of the bombastic comments made within. That said, aside from reacting, I'm not sure this will change the conversation or that it has honestly contributed anything new to the conversation. Additionally, the writing is clunky and uneven.

At the end of the day, for someone not well versed in the African-American canon, I can think of about a gabillion books you should read first. Only recommended if you are hyper-interested in reading about race in America and have been through all the important works. This is not an important work.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who's Afraid of Post-Blackness? What it Means to Be Black Now.

message 1: by Vee (new)

Vee Appreciate this review. If I see this book in the library then I might read it. Other than that, I'll pass.

Demetrius Burns I will have to agree with you. I think this book is a bit antiquated and states the obvious in a lot of ways for us black people who have embraced post-blackness.

However, that said I think there are a lot of people who will embrace this book and need to read it.

Being black is much more expansive than we can ever realize but also serves as a microcosm in the overall make up of us as human beings.

Demetrius Burns However, for you to imply that this isn't an important work within the lexicon of African-American literature while not professing to be familiar with it is a bit misguided, no?