Rose's Reviews > The Year of Living Biblically

The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs

May 26, 08

bookshelves: 2008
Read in May, 2008

The premise for this book was an interesting one, and I did learn from it. It's certainly fodder for responding to insistence on doing something or other "because the Bible says to", and the author illustrates the immense difficulties of translating and interpreting the Bible. However, I wasn't particularly moved by his budding spirituality, nor his schizophrenic division of himself into A.J. and "Jacob". I felt that he was not entirely clear, himself, on what the point of this mission was: to change himself spiritually, to provide material for a book, or to explore and prove a point intellectually.

I did appreciate his attempts to be thorough, although perhaps more his wife Julie's sabotage efforts. I felt Julie's fertility and pregnancy were too prominent, and I would not have liked such personal details being shared with the world myself. There are some funny passages, especially his encounter with the self-proclaimed adulterer who Jacobs proceeds to stone, and I appreciated his apology for re-using a few sections from his previous book.

Overall, interesting and enjoyable.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of Living Biblically.

Quotes Rose Liked

A.J. Jacobs
“My reading list grows exponentially. Every time I read a book, it'll mention three other books I feel I have to read. It's like a particularly relentless series of pop-up ads.”
A.J. Jacobs, The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible