Annie's Reviews > The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World

The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner

May 05, 08

bookshelves: travel, memoir
Read in May, 2008

Granted, I read this book right after Tales of a Female Nomad, but I spent most of the travels wondering when this author would actually connect with the people he was trying to figure out. Now granted, he kept falling back on the "but I'm a journalist, so naturally I can't too connected," excuse, but frankly it got old. I guess if I was supposed to read it as a lay-person's explanation of the science of happiness that's been more and more popular lately instead of his actual search for happiness I could have been more satisfied. I wanted more personal growth (then again, I haven't read the epilogue yet) or at least more connections with real people that lasted longer than a few hours over coffee. Oh well. If you're going to read this, just don't read it after an excellent book about a person looking for happiness and finding it in a totally different way of life - like Tales of a Female Nomad.

This writing was decent, but not compelling and I had to force myself to finish the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Geography of Bliss.