Sara's Reviews > I Am Not Myself These Days

I Am Not Myself These Days by Josh Kilmer-Purcell

Sep 27, 11

bookshelves: memoir-biography
Read from September 26 to 27, 2011

This book started out to be absolutely, completely hilarious. I thought "Oh man, I really want to hang out with Aqua!"

It then descended into a sad, heartbreaking tale of people out of control with drugs and partying. Aqua (and his day incarnation, Josh) is an amazingly witty Drag Queen who has clear plastic breasts with live fish inside and stands 7'2" in her heels. She's snarky, brilliant, and an alcoholic. She meets up with Jack, who she initially thinks is a Doctor because of his pager, but in reality he is a hooker. They fall in love, and this is a story of their exploits, before Jack is taken down by crack and the subsequent madness.

A brave and heartbreaking memoir. which lets you in on the "inside" of New York's gay party scene in the late 1990s.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Not Myself These Days.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (last edited Jul 11, 2012 02:51PM) (new)

Paul Hi Sara - can you tell me how sexually explicit this book gets? Someone I know is just about to read it and I may need to issue a warning if it's extremely raunchy.

Sara I can't remember the specifics, but it is really in your face, so a warning might be in order. Great book though.