Scott Bagley's Reviews > Whiteout

Whiteout by Ken Follett

Sep 28, 11

It's funny. I tried this book years ago and I quit on it, it just didn't grab me quick enough. I'd say it does take a while to get into this one, but once it's going, it's a good read! This book includes what I think of as a "summary" ending - where at the end of the climax, we forward one year and we find out what happened to everyone as a result of the action. I often don't like this type of thing, but the characters are strong enough that I wanted to hear more from them, and I didn't mind in this case.

Strange, I "read" this one as an audiobook, and I'm reading (traditionally) Follett's "Night Over Water," and both books include characters named "Oxenford."

One thing I found which didn't quite fit was the book mentioned there being no milkman coming to the neighborhoods on Christmas, yet the book is modern day (modern enough for fingerprint identification for access to a lab). The book is set in Scotland, and I don't know if milkmen still exist over there, but I know that milkmen went away here in the states decades ago. Didn't ruin what I think is a strong book, but a little inconsistent.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whiteout.