JG (The Introverted Reader)'s Reviews > The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall

Jan 05, 15

bookshelves: audio, z_read_in_2011, fiction, reviewed, 4_stars, z_author_american, childrens, covers_i_like, z_setting_us, award_winners, narrators_i_like
Recommended to JG (The Introverted Reader) by: Jess
Recommended for: Natalie
Read from September 26 to October 07, 2011

I listened to this ages and ages ago, but I remember that I loved it. I don't even recall the sisters' names, but as I listened they each had a distinct personality and I was easily able to differentiate between them. There is no big plot here, it's just a series of little adventures that these sisters have on their summer vacation with a couple of new friends, but it took me right back to my own childhood. My childhood stories are similar, and the book itself reminded me of books I loved as a child--Anne of Green Gables, the Betsy-Tacy books, and another series about a little family that I cannot remember the name of. They're all charming and timeless, exactly as the Penderwicks are. The narrator, Susan Denaker, read appropriately for children without making me feel, as an adult, that I was being condescended to. I listened all the way through just beaming from ear to ear as I drove around.

I highly recommend this for the innocent little girls in your life. If you're still in touch with your own inner little girl, give it a listen for old time's sake.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Penderwicks.