Jeffery Moulton's Reviews > Supergods: What Masked Vigilantes, Miraculous Mutants, and a Sun God from Smallville Can Teach Us About Being Human

Supergods by Grant Morrison

Sep 26, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-books, superheroes, nonfiction
Read from September 26 to December 13, 2011

A couple of years ago, I had the opportunity to meet Grant Morrison. His voice, complete with its thick Scottish brogue, comes through this book loud-and-clear as he recounts the history of superheroes complete with his own spin on what makes these iconic characters so enduring and popular and what they say about modern culture.

Overall, I felt that the book is well-written and interesting. Even though I've read much of the same history in other books, Morrison was able to make it more personal by adding his own experiences and opinions to the story.

Unfortunately, that was also one of my biggest complaints (though, in all fairness, my complaints were minor)--sometimes his voice gets in the way of the story. He sometimes dimisses or glosses over things that don't jive with his own take on superheroes. His preferences crowd out other interesting topics that would have been interesting coming from an industry insider like him.

In the end, I thought the book was pretty good and a decent read. It doesn't add a whole lot to the genre of superhero history, but it does give it a personal spin from one of the industry greats and that sets it apart from other titles in the same vein.

I recommend it to anyone interested in comic book history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Supergods.