Nancy Dardarian's Reviews > The Buddha in the Attic

The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka

Sep 26, 11

An interesting book about the Japanese relocation during WW2.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Buddha in the Attic.

message 1: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Jussel A friend of mine in Santa Cruz, Jeannie Wakatsuki Houston wrote a really good book regarding this atrocity, Farewell to Manzanar. You might enjoy it, too.

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne How does it compare to House on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet?

Nancy Dardarian Zoe, I find this topic really distressing and probably won't read another right away, but thank you.

Zoe wrote: "A friend of mine in Santa Cruz, Jeannie Wakatsuki Houston wrote a really good book regarding this atrocity, Farewell to Manzanar. You might enjoy it, too."

Nancy Dardarian Anne, I don't know? How do you compare one book to another? This one starts out with a group of mail order brides coming on the boat to meet their husbands in America and goes from there...

Anne wrote: "How does it compare to House on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet?"

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne Sorry, should have been Hotel on Corner of-----.
I suppose I was wondering which book struck the most resonant chord with you. I haven't read Buddha but was very impressed by the other and many passages are engraved on my mind.

Nancy Dardarian I guess I enjoyed them both a lot but they are very different books. I hope you read it and tell me what you think!