Cathy's Reviews > I am Rembrandt's Daughter

I am Rembrandt's Daughter by Lynn Cullen

May 04, 08

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Recommended for: Historical fiction buffs, romance reader

I enjoyed this book especially since I've been to Amsterdam and seen the Rembrandt House. I couldn't get in since the line was so long, but saw many of his paintings at the Rijkmuseum. Cornelia, is the daughter of the elderly Rembrandt and his common-law wife. Because they are not married, she is scorned by most. On top of that, Rembrandt is no longer the darling of Dutch painters. He's irascible and paints what he wants, the way he wants. Because he is not selling many paintings, they are poor and Cornelia suffers for lack of nice clothes and sufficient food. Rembrandt believes he is guided by God and though Cornelia thinks him mad, she loves his work, except one she finds of her mother in the attic. There is also a romance as Cornelia meets a young apprentice to Rembrandt's rival, who is the son of a wealthy shipping merchant.

The historical details of the time are convincingly drawn from the bells tolling for plague victims, to slop buckets being thrown into the canals and ladies clutching pomanders in their hands attempting to ward off the plague.

I would have liked a pronunciation guide as Dutch words are difficult to pronounce. I would also have liked web links for those paintings listed at the end under Notable Art Works. The author's note and character list at the end were very helpfult, though sad to see how short these characters, most of whom were based on real people, were.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I am Rembrandt's Daughter.