Erin Reilly-Sanders's Reviews > The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things

The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler

Sep 26, 11

bookshelves: fiction, gender, humor, teen
Read in September, 2011

I really loved this book- it has humor, it has romance, it has friendships, family problems, great coming-of-age story, a good journey for the main character, some inquiry into gender and, perhaps most important, deep meaning beyond the surface. It is always nice to have more supportive books for the many girls who fall on the rounder side of “normal.” I do agree with the author of “Meant to Be Huge”: Obesity and Body Image in Young Adult Novel (C.S. Quick) that it is a little disturbing to offer teens the hope that, once personal problems have been taken care of, you'll get skinnier, equating normal weight with goodness, beauty, and inner acceptance. Sometimes weight loss works but most often weight is something that you struggle with throughout your entire life. The focus on health rather than appearance that the book offers is helpful though. Regardless of Quick's concerns, this is still a fun and entertaining book that would be a great read for many teens.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things.