Maria's Reviews > Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst

Sep 26, 2011

Recommended to Maria by: Teachers in my first elementary school.
Recommended for: yes
Read on September 26, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: several

This picturebook is famous among teachers. The story is about a naughty boy who describes how his day went from morning to night time. Alexander, the youngest boy in the story, and the narrator as well, had to endure bad incidents in school, at the dentist office, with his brothers and mom while shopping for shoes, at his Dad’s office, and back at home. I have to admit there is humor in all these bad things happening to this boy throughout the day. I connect to the story because I have two boys that are 5 and 8 years old like the boys in the story. As a teacher and mom, I have seen this kind of behavior many times. All, I have to say is “Life is not fair for five years old boys here or in Australia!”
The illustrations are interesting. After reading about the illustrator, I found he that Ray Cruz grew up in New York City and has been drawing since he was five years old. In addition to his work as an illustrator, he has had extensive experience in textile design and graphic art. By knowing this, now I realized why his illustrations are so rich in textures and they look a bit like comics. This picture book is always a hit in the classroom. Great idea for a children's book!

3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.