Mitch's Reviews > The A.B.C. Murders

The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie

Sep 26, 11

Before I begin my review, let me start off my saying I am a HUGE fan of Agatha Christie. Throughout the years I have always used her novels as "go to" books if I am in a literary dry spell and yearn to read something I am guarentee to enjoy. My girl Aggie usually hits the spot! However, sadly, I must say that "The A.B.C. Murders" is thus far my least favourite of all her books.

The following may contain spoilers:

Poirot, everyone's favourite detective, receives a mysterious letter warning him of a crime to hit Adover: and Hercule correctly predicts murder. Soon a string of murders spread out among different cities and a variety of victims begins to occur. The only thing in common is that the murderer sends a letter prior to the tragedies, each victim's name corresponds to the next letter of the alphabet, and an A.B.C. train book is always at the scene of every crime. Now Poirot teams up with the friends and family of the victims to try to prevent the killer from moving his way up the alphabet!

Now, the premise and general story are quite interesting. However, I just felt like this book was different from many of the other that I love. Call me old fashioned, but I like the "Oh no, there is a murder! I will gather clues, interview each person one by one, and then gather them together and spring the answer on everyone with the killer present!" And although this book also sort of follows that formula, it just isn't as...hmmm effective I guess as other books like "Murder on the Orient Express" or "Appointment with Death". I don't know...something just seemed missing and I didn't feel invested with any of the characters. So, Aggie my girl, I love ya, but this one was just so-so for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The A.B.C. Murders.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Carlos Reges Pienso lo mismo. Tienes toda la razón, no se nota la lógica del asesino y su genial forma de hacerse presente con cartas para luego retar a Poirot, cuando todo se trata de un caso pasional. Realmente no llenó mis expectativas.