Karen's Reviews > unChristian: What a New Generation Really Thinks about Christianity... and Why It Matters

unChristian by David Kinnaman

May 04, 2008

liked it
Read in May, 2008

I picked up this book on a whim and almost tossed it aside when I realized it wasn't going to be about what I thought it was going to be about. But something made me read the first sentence - "Christianity has an image problem" - and that surely caught my attention.

The book is written by an evangelical Christian and has several sections of text written by active Christians. The discussion primarily centers around research conducted over a three year period dissecting views of Christians/Christianity held by "outsiders" of various age groups. Through this research, the author discovered that not only are Christians perceived negatively (hypocritical, antihomosexual, insensitive, intolerant,judgmental, hyperpolitical, etc.) but that the negative perception increases as the age range of the group decreases. The purpose of the book is to sound the alarm to Christians about how they are perceived and to offer suggestions on how to improve their image. The concern, of course, is that Christianity is losing its following, particularly among young people.

It was refreshing to see that the author agrees with the idea that Christians have moved far away from the behavior and world perspective advocated by Christ. However, he doesn't quite take his argument far enough in explaining exactly how Christians could advocate for their own political interests (which he does support) while appearing non-judgmental, loving, and tolerant. Evangelical politically active Christians are always "against" things, putting them squarely in the GOP. If they were to politically advocate for the loving side of Christianity - charity, tolerance, others before self - that would put them on the other side of the aisle politically. I'm intrigued by the idea that in order to follow this gentleman's advice, the Democratic party would be inundated with born again Christians.

A thought provoking book thoroughly enjoyed by this outsider, who shares many of the perceptions illustrated by the study.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read unChristian.

03/02/2016 marked as: read

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Hi Karen. I enjoyed reading your review of this book. It defintely has something to offer. I don't like using terms like Born Again or Evangelical. I am a Christian and it is very important to me. It's funny how much flack all Christians get for the way certain Christians behave. I don't like to get political, but there are definitely Democratic, politically liberal Christians. I am one of them. I believe that Christians should remember the basics, and that is looking to Jesus. That's what I try to do in my life (and like any human, I fall short, but I try). I just thought I'd share that with you.