Tara Pearce's Reviews > Heroes

F_50x66
Sep 27, 11

bookshelves: english-420
Read from September 26 to 27, 2011

I was not expecting to like this book. In fact, even about halfway through I was thinking of possible reviews and had settled on giving the book three stars. I wouldn't say that it started slow, but I think Cormier throws you into the mix of already-made decisions and consequences without the history and motivations behind them. I am not a very patient reader, so that always bothers me a little bit. But in this case, I take back all of my premature judgments, because I really appreciated this novel. I don't know if I would use the word "enjoyed," but this novel made me think and evaluate a lot of ideas that I have previously held. Cormier evaluates the idea of what a "hero" is and how people often misperceive heroism and seemingly heroic individuals. Also, the ideas of guilt and betrayal and the responsiblities we have to other human beings. This was an easy read, but it wasn't an "easy read" as far as content goes. I think high school students could greatly benefit from reading this novel, but I am not sure how young I would go with this. Really powerful read and I really loved the writing. I think I first realized that I was entirely captivated and engaged during the Table Tennis tournament. I just had to know what happened and that anticipation stayed with me for the rest of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heroes.