Foam's Reviews > Among the Barons

Read from September 26 to October 23, 2011

Among the Barons
Margaret Peterson Haddix
2003 fiction

This book is about a boy whose name is Luke. He has taken Smits brothers identity after he was shot by the government. His name was lee, a spoiled baron kid. Barons took all the money of the normal people. In the world of government lies fake identities, and death threats Luke/lee doesn’t know who to trust. I think the protagonist is Luke/ lee because he is the one that can’t trust anyone. It takes place in Hendricks School for Boys, the Grants Mansion, and Luke’s country house. The conflict is that Luke and Smits don’t know f they should trust Smits bodyguard because he is known for telling lots of lies. Luke’s life might be in danger because he told Oscar, Smits bodyguard that he is a third child.
I think the theme of the book is that you should trust yourself ad life isn’t always fair. In the book it said “’ don’t worry’ Oscar said’ I’m on your side. Were fighting for the same cause’ ‘how do I know that? Luke asked ‘why should I trust you?’” also in the book it said “mother Smits looked so wrong together- like pictures cut from two different magazines and hazardly glued together. Smits in his fine woolen suit and leather shoes did not belong with graying hair scooped back into a bun. And what had Luke been thinking bringing Smits from his peeling paint and weathered wood? What must Smits be thinking?
I would definitely recommend this book to a friend. I would recommend it to people that like suspense and action. It had lots of twists and turns. This book is just like other books that I have read by Margaret Peterson Haddix. It’s about the same boy Luke who tries so hard to get normal life but something always gets in the way.
A quote from the book that I liked was on page 82 and 83. I says “you’re the one id trust the most to come out of this safety. Just use your common sense. You’ll be all right,… you’ll be all right, you’ll be all right, you’ll be all right. I like this because it matches with the theme. To always believe in yourself.
This book has taught me to religh on myself and not just others. It taught me that I’m not always going to have someone by my side. I needed to learn how to be independent and this book taught me the right thing

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Among the Barons.

09/26/2011 "i didnt read a lot of the book yet but where i am they are talking about the book before this one when luke first came to hendricks school for boys. theire just introducing all the characters"
10/10/2011 "lukes fake brother came to hendrickcs scchool for boys and luke and him have to act like they are brothers and act all mean to each other. lukes fake brother, smits pretended to have a bad dream but it was what happened to his real brother. when smits brother died luke took his name so he can come out of hiding. this book is relly good so far and something always happens that dont expect to happen."
10/23/2011 "i have finished this book it was realy suspenseful and had alot of twists and turns"