Shauna's Reviews > Katherine

Katherine by Anya Seton

Sep 26, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in September, 2011

I didn't like this book as much as I enjoyed "Pillars of the Earth."
Favorite quotes:
"She thought of the fearful poser of a lie, of all evil- and she thought of her own children, and how she had believed herself capable of guiding their lives rightfully, of easily slaving their hurts, and that by providing for their mind and body nurture she had fended off all harm Now she was uncertain and dismayed…. But what can I do? Katherine thought despairingly."

"What then was certain? What was there that would not shift and veer at the mercy of the winds of feeling? Sanctity, the clergy said. Prayer. The practice of religion. The benevolence of the holy saints. The Grace of God."

“Our dear trustworthy Lord said not, Thou shalt not be tempested, thou shalt not be travailed, thou shalt not be afflicted, but He said, Thou shalt not be overcome!” Father Clement, of all the teaching, this seems to me the most beautiful.”

“So,” said Katherine aloud, putting down the letter. She repeated a sentence slowly: “I forget imprisoned tart bitterness of the past.” Yes, bitterness should be forgotten. … She had made a new life; usually there was content. She had learned the pleasure of little things: the glint of May sunlight on a cluster of bluebells, the smell of white bread she had herself baked."

"She put her hand over his, and waited until his clenched fingers relaxed and clasped hers. Hand-fasted they sat looking out across the darkening lake into the forest beyond. Presently comfort came to him, and he thought that she had always given him of her strength though he had never quite realized it until now."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Katherine.