Mariah's Reviews > This Common Secret: My Journey as an Abortion Doctor

This Common Secret by Susan Wicklund

Feb 15, 12

bookshelves: gender, women, unity-church-library, 2011, health, feminism, memoir, reviewed, politics
Read from September 25 to October 12, 2011

In all the controversy surrounding abortion in American culture- one voice we never get to hear is that of the doctors who perform them. Here is a unique chance to hear such a voice.
Susan Wickland's journey toward becoming an abortion provider began when she herself had an abortion. It was an unpleasant experience for her- the doctor & nurses were cold, did not counsel her or explain the procedure. After that, she decided that women ought to have better treatment as they deal with a terrible decision.

The women that come to her come from a variety of situations and consider abortion for a variety of reasons- poverty, rape/sexual abuse, the stigma of being an unwed mother, medical reasons. She makes extra sure that this is what they really want- asking them several times, carefully explaining the procedure and comforting them before and after.

Ms. Wickland faces many trials as the result of her chosen profession. Protestors crowd around her home, harass her daughter at school, and threaten her over the phone. Often she has to have police escort her into the clinic. The book ends up reading like a spy/adventure novel, as Susan develops various strategies to protect her family. I am amazed by her bravery and dedication. Even if you disagree with abortion, I would hope you can appreciate all the sacrifices and suffering she goes through for something she believes in.
Would you do that?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Common Secret.