Andy Shuping's Reviews > Four and Twenty Blackbirds

Four and Twenty Blackbirds by Cherie Priest

Apr 14, 12

I'm not normally a fan of horror books, mostly because I don't like a lot of blood and gore, but since this series was written by Cherie Priest--one of my favorite authors--I decided to give it a try. And I wasn't disappointed. Instead I was quite taken in by the story that she weaves and the characters that she's created.

Eden grows up with the ability to see ghosts. In particular she sees three ghosts that watch over her and at times protect her. And they know the secrets of her family, the secrets her Aunt Lulu refuses to reveal. When a crazed half-cousin comes gunning for her, Eden is drawn into the family secrets that she's been looking for...secrets that might kill her and everyone that she knows.

Priest creates and builds an appropriately moody and spooky environment, that will give you chills down your spine at just the right moments. She captures the environment to a T and builds places that become vividly real in the mind, lending to a sense of fear. The characters that creates are memorable, eerily familiar and yet strange and distant all at the same time. I found myself continually pulling and rooting for Eden to find out what her past was and wondering what dark secrets her family tree was hiding. And as I mentioned above I'm not really a fan of horror because of the blood and gore factor that creeps into so many of them, but Priest creates a sense of horror without drenching pages with blood and guts. Blood shows up on occasion, but it makes sense for the plot and story.

I can't wait to read the two other books in the series and I'd highly recommend this one, even to people who aren't normally fans of horror.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Four and Twenty Blackbirds.