Ashley's Reviews > Green Eggs and Ham

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

Sep 26, 11

1. Controlled Vocabulary

2. This book reinforces the concepts of rhyme and word sounds in a story about Sam, who loves his green eggs and ham. Sam has trouble, however, convincing his friend to like it, too!

3. Critique

a. The area I would like to comment on for this book is the readability of the text.

b. This title uses phonics and rhyming to create a very easy to read, engaging book for early readers. The story follows a basic rhyming pattern that is predictable to the reader and keeps the words simple and familiar. This is good for early readers because it enables them to begin to recognize patterns within words as well as beginning and ending sounds, and of course rhyme.

c. An example of this in the text is: “I would not eat it in a box, I would not eat it with a fox, I would not eat it here or there, I would not eat it anywhere! I do not like green eggs and ham, I do not like them Sam I Am!” The repetition of sounds and continual patterns help young learners.

4. Phonics instruction is a large part of emergent spelling/reading curriculum, and this book is a wonderful supplement to the textbooks because of their whimsical, lighthearted nature and bright colors.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Green Eggs and Ham.