Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Angus and the Cat

Angus and the Cat by Marjorie Flack

Oct 17, 2011

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, picture-books, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Recommended for: cat and dog lovers and those who enjoy older picture books
Read on October 17, 2011

I read the inside covers first and was gratified to see that there was a real Angus, the family pet of the author-illustrator. I think knowing that made me appreciate this book more, and I’m interested in reading the other Angus books. I have to wonder whether I had any of these books read to me when I was young, but I don’t think so, even though they were around by the time I was born.

This is an extraordinarily cute story about how Angus grows up, learning useful things, but while curious about cats is not able to learn anything about them, and then he finds a cat in his house, a cat whose behaviors are a bit of a nuisance for Angus. Angue spends his time trying to chase/get to/meet the cat, and then what happens next and what happens at the end is adorable. I was glad to see what little animosity there was between dog and cat involved access to resources and not because they’re enemies. I love the ending, which shows them now used to each other and therefore getting along.

This is a wonderful read aloud story, as there is room to have a lot of fun with verbal expressiveness.

I really enjoyed the vintage illustrations and chuckled at the one with the cat on the roof, although I did wonder about Angus’s apparent poor sense of smell, for a dog that is.

4 ½ stars
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angus and the Cat.

05/06 marked as: read

Lisa Vegan Abigail wrote: "Oh! I missed out! My copy had no dust-jacket, so I didn't learn that there was a real Angus... Glad to know, though!"

Yes, he was the family dog when this author was a child, and his antics are based on those of the real Angus. I'm glad you're now informed.
;-)
I hate missing out on this kind of information.

Kathryn Oh, I'm so happy you loved this one, Lisa! It just charmed me and I hope to get the rest of the Angus books soon!

Like Abigail, I did not know there was a real Angus! I'm so happy you pointed that out in your review :-)

Lisa Vegan Yes, I think it's great she wrote and illustrated books about a dog she loved as a child, and seemed to remember well.