David's Reviews > The Elvis and Marilyn Affair

M 50x66
Sep 26, 11

bookshelves: completed
Read in September, 2011

I had high hopes going into this novel. One of the best things it had going for it was that it was written by a Hollywood insider and even though real characters were to be used fictionally, the author never really developed to concept of the Elvis and Marilyn affair. Instead, it becomes a backdrop to a story of Hollywood cloak-and-dagger stories centered around a place called the "Motion Picture Retirement Estates" a senior-living community for retired movie stars.

The author does bring in a number of interesting characters and throws up a lot of Hollywood inside stuff that might be fiction and might be based on reality. There is some good banter offered. However, the Elvis and Marilyn stuff is told so matter-of-factly that the novel begins a downhill slide almost immediately. Instead, we are given a parade of zany stars, wannabe stars, has been stars, and Hollywood persona that offer a fair mystery. At least this reader was left feeling cheated that the writer didn't take time to develop the Elvis\Marilyn connection more deeply. In fact, it sort of became a Who was bopping who story that didn't try to develop any of those relationships beyond a gossip session.

It left me wondering if Daryl F. Zanuck's middle name really was an obscene word. It left me wondering if Elvis and Marilyn ever did really meet.

In fact, I was so disappointed that I tossed the next book in the series into the trash along with this one, knowing it would be more of the same.

There are some good novels out there featuring Elvis Presley as an amateur detective that at least attempts to develop Elvis character, howbeit a fiction\non-fiction blend. This novel, despite a promising title and premise just did not deliver.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Elvis and Marilyn Affair.