Shane's Reviews > The Runaway Jury

The Runaway Jury by John Grisham

Sep 26, 11

bookshelves: thrillers
Read in September, 2011

This book was quite entertaining, although it wasn't anything special. I was amazed at how much drama Grisham could milk out of a civil lawsuit, and I appreciated it that he didn't try to forceably "spruce-up" the action with random gun battles or kidnappings or something like that. The thriller was in the prose, and that was good.
Unusually, I felt this was a book with no sympathetic hero. Nicholas Easter, the main juror, is conniving, as is his partner Marlee; neither set of lawyers are particularly good; and there are many medium-important people on the jury, but none a real hero. This wasn't really a detraction, as all the characters were dynamic, but it was still unusual.
My only main complaint was that Nicholas was, up to the end, still trusted and beloved by both Judge Harkin and fellow jurors alike, even though there were multiple times he acted like a jerk for a certain purpose. Why would Harkin still trust Nicholas (especially as Nicholas is the only evidence against fellow jurors to be dismissed) when Nicholas threw temper tantrums over food or checking the bags. Maybe Nicholas would have that much influence, but I don't believe he would have been that popular.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Runaway Jury.