RandomAnthony's Reviews > The Egg Said Nothing

The Egg Said Nothing by Caris O'Malley

Sep 26, 2011

liked it

I would like to be as transparent as possible in this review.

A) Full-disclosure part I: Caris O'Malley is my friend.

B) Full-disclosure Part II: Even if I didn't like this book I'd probably give said book a good review because Caris is my friend.

C) Full-disclosure Part III: Outside of academia I've never read a book by someone I know. I hesitate to pick them up. I'm not sure why. Maybe I want to maintain a cool distance between the author and me. Maybe I don't want to pretend I like a sucky book. Maybe I'm jealous.

D) Full-disclosure Part IV: Caris O'Malley is a real writer. As I read this book I pretended I didn't know Caris. I am confident in the assertion that, even if Caris and I hadn't met through GR, I would have inhaled this book in eight hours or less. I feel obligated to say good things because the book is fucking good, not because Caris is one of the coolest people in the GR universe.

E) Full-disclosure Part V: Caris once freaked me out by telling me he chases coyotes in the desert. On foot! I'm not making that up.

F) Full-disclosure Part VI: I'm bothered by this whole “bizarro fiction” label. Ok. So an egg appears out of nowhere. But don't worry about the egg. The real action takes place in Manny's head and I daresay (I'm just looking for an excuse to use the word “daresay”) the egg angle isn't all that important outside of knocking Manny off his orbit. The book's heart resides in Manny's dance along the border between reality and hallucination. For a couple minutes he'll sound like a normal, lonely guy, then suddenly he's off his rocker. Manny is neither completely sane nor completely bonkers. Writing a character this complex and making him sound as natural as Manny takes a real writer. Caris O'Malley is a real writer. And The Egg Said Nothing deserves to transcend the “bizarro fiction” ghetto.

G) Full-disclosure part VII: If I had to compare this book to other authors, for the sake of convenience, I would say, “PK Dick meets Bukowski meets that crazy guy on your block with whom you try to be polite but maybe you don't want to get too friendly lest he sit on your porch and wait for you to come home.”

You should read The Egg Said Nothing. Not because I know Caris. Not because he's cool. But because he's a real writer and this is a good book. I forgot I knew Caris while reading The Egg Said Nothing. I can pay an author friend no higher compliment. Caris is the real deal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Egg Said Nothing.

08/29/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by David (new)

David Wow. You really know how to kiss butt, Shafer. It's an art, and you've mastered it.

RandomAnthony Heh. So you're saying I have some interpersonal skills? This is news to me...

message 3: by David (new)

David These are mostly interbuttal skills.

message 4: by stephanie (new)

stephanie what a great review! seriously! it made me chuckle. it also intrigued me. bukowski + pk dick = sounds very bad-ass!

message 5: by stephanie (new)

stephanie alsoalso, I love random facts like 'E'.

RandomAnthony Thanks, Stephanie! Check the book out if you get a chance...now you work at a library you can get any book you want:)

message 7: by Eh?Eh! (last edited Sep 27, 2011 08:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eh?Eh! Elizabeth wrote: "I concur. I got that vibe, too."

Even with all the puppies!

message 8: by Ben (last edited Sep 28, 2011 11:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben I still can't believe how fast Caris wrote this. What kind of sick talent puts together a book with such a unique voice that's as funny -- and hell, as much of an overall damn-good-book -- as this -- in like a year? It took him like a year and he was done, had it finished and sent off to the publisher. Good things are in the future for this kid. Can I call him a kid? I think he's younger than I am.

Nice review, RA.

message 9: by David (new)

David Stand back, everyone. Benji's spraying.

Eh?Eh! Looks like Caris is being our spray shield.

Eh?Eh! Isn't there a term for that? Co-dependent? Catcher? Submissive?

message 13: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Added to the Moleskine.