Heather's Reviews > My Booky Wook

My Booky Wook by Russell Brand

Sep 26, 11

bookshelves: summer
Read in April, 2011

This is a total popcorn book! You don't have to work your brain and you feel a bit naughty if you enjoy it. I realized while reading this book that my perspective has changed a bit since becoming a mom. This is the first book I have ever read where I thought "gee, I can't leave this on my bookshelf and have my kid possibly pick it up before they turn 18.) Without any spoilers this book is about Russell's personal experience with sex, drugs, theft, sex, drugs, sex, acting and more sex. Yup, thats it! If sex makes you uncomfortable, I would not recommend this book. If the rewards of theft make you uncomfortable, I would not recommend this book. If the enjoyment of drugs makes you uncomfortable....... you get the drift. This is really an unapologetic review of the various paths Russell followed to become the comedian and actor he is today. Parts were funny, parts were slightly shocking, parts were a bit sad. I really enjoy his comedy, but I didn't feel like this book really gave the same level of enjoyment. I'm not sure if it was because I spent more time in Russell's head reading the book than I do watching a comedy special or that the humor in the book was slightly different than the humor from the stage, but while I will definitely watch Russell again on stage, I am not sure I will read his second book. If you have a long flight and want something that will make you feel like you spent the flight with a pervert, albeit a funny one, pick up this book. You will have a laugh, or two.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Booky Wook.