Raina's Reviews > Dust City

Dust City by Robert Paul Weston

Oct 04, 11

bookshelves: animals, faeries, creepyish, dystopia, ya, urban, action-go-to
Read from September 26 to October 02, 2011

I am so charmed by Robert Paul Weston. It's shocking to me that I'd never heard of him, or this book, before I stumbled on this taking books off New status.

Henry is in juvie. His dad is a former drug runner, currently locked up for killing a girl and her grandma. Henry escapes juvie, visits his dad, and is told that the drugs he was running may have been actual fairydust, something that's been extinct for years.

Did I mention that Henry's a wolf? And that wolves have now evolved to have fingers and walk on two legs most of the time?

It feels like a mashup of something by Walter Dean Myers, The Tenth Kingdom, and either The Monstrumologist or something directed by Quentin Tarantino.

It's tongue-in-cheek as in referential, not funny. I loved meeting characters like giants, elves, dwarves, crows, and the mythology of it all. The references are sparing enough that many of the most popular fairytales are left out. Lots of room for sequels here.

It's gritty and graphically violent in places. Some definite eww moments, though minimal cursing.

It's almost noirish, in some ways. The romance is very hetero, and the female is laughably ideal, aggressive and convenient. The whole thing is kind of a mystery (though it feels more like an adventure).

Total dibs on booktalking.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dust City.