Melissa Bennett's Reviews > The Wasp Factory

The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks

Oct 21, 2011

Read from September 26 to October 20, 2011

This book totally disturbed me. I actually had a hard time reading it. I wanted to read it to find out where it was going but at the same time I felt uncomfortable while doing so. If you have a hard time reading about animal cruelty or children being murdered, then don't read this book. If you like a book that just might make you squirm while you read it, then you will want to read this one.
It's about a boy, Frank, who became a serial killer at a very young age. To many others he seemed mostly normal on the outside but through the book you get to delve into his mind. There you find that he is a smart kid but very weird in his thinking. Not only is he mentally unstable but his brother is too and his dad doesn't seem quite all there either. As the book goes along you see really how disturbed this boy is and his brother as well. I think that was the part that bothered me the most. The way the author described Frank's daily life and thoughts was quite disturbing. I've read fictional books on serial killers, murderers, etc but no one seemed to get really into their twisted mind as this author did. Made me wonder how stable Iain Banks might be... lol. A very good book but it's not for everyone.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wasp Factory.