Steve H's Reviews > One of Our Thursdays Is Missing

Oct 20, 11

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, humorous
Read in September, 2011

It's been a while since I started the Thursday Next series, and the other books in the series weren't that fresh in my mind, so I was a little overwhelmed by references to ideas and events introduced in previous books. Plus, this work was a little slow to get established for me because I wasn't ready for our main character to be, perhaps, a different character than the other Thursday novels. My final minor gripe with this book, which I nevertheless enjoyed, is what seems to be an overwhelming amount of detail trying to explain how things work in Book World rather than just stating the implausible as fact and letting our imaginations fill in the gaps. (In the Book World this would be called the reader feedback loop.)

Still the book is fun overall, and some of the new characters are quite likeable. After all, everybody needs a butler, especially one with a penchant for creative cocktail combinations. If life weren't so short it would be fun (in an OCD-ish sort of way) to go through this work and highlight the references to other works of literature, and then if life were even longer to be able to read the works that Fforde is referring to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One of Our Thursdays Is Missing.