Namratha's Reviews > The Golden Lily

The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead

Sep 23, 12

bookshelves: ya-lit, urban-fantasy, fantasy
Read from September 21 to 23, 2012 — I own a copy

Thank you, Richelle Mead.

Thank you for the fabulously flawed Adrian Ivashkov.

Thank you for making a legion of fangirls ecstatic by devoting a sizeable chunk of The Golden Lily to the scruffy appeal of a spirit-infused Adrian Ivashkov.

Thank you for lumping Sydney Sage with a 'I'll-be-the-Sheldon-Cooper-to-your-pedantic-Amy-Farrah-Fowler' prototype of a boyfriend. Thanks to him, we can truly appreciate the innate niceness of a much maligned Adrian Ivashkov.

Thank you for pitching in Adrian Ivashkov’s big, grumpy, birch-rod-up-his-backside father who shimmers with disapproval and disappointment. All it made me want to do is take a flying leap at the hurting-like-hell Adrian and yell, “Let me love you! Let me bake you a batch of chocolate chip cookies! And let me mother you to hell and back!!”

Thank you for some truly cheesy lines supplied to Adrian Ivashkov. CASE IN POINT:
“I tried to be a better person for her– but it was to impress her, to get her to want me. But when I’m around you, I want to be better because… well, because it feels right. Because I want to. You make me want to become something greater than myself. I want to excel. You inspire me in every act, every word, every glance. I look at you, and you’re like… like light made into flesh. You have no clue how beautiful you are or how brightly you shine."
Mouthed by the love-struck Ivashkov, the cheesiest of lines transform into the most gorgeous Raclette ever to melt onto a country loaf.

Thank you for making the supremely intelligent Sydney completely clueless about all the subtle nuances and shifts in Ivashkov’s attitude towards her. While she could notice the dynamics in the Jill-Eddie-Angeline drama, how she failed to notice the drowsy, dreamy (Yes, I called him 'Dreamy'.To misquote Dora, 'Yes, I will call him Dreamy and he shall be my mine and she shall be my Dreamy.') shifts in Ivashkov’s body language, was beyond me. Then again, her complete befuddlement and his droll attempts to shift out of the friendzone, had me going, “Aw-gee-shucks-kiss-her-already!”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Interspersed between all the Ivashkov awesomeness is a plot. It has something to do with the presence of a new radical group of Vampire Hunters who are not picky about the fine differences between Strigoi and Moroi and are out to rid the world of all supposed evil. And somewhere in there, is a protagonist centered journey of self-discovery, wherein our competent heroine Sydney Sage is finally questioning her unstinting loyalty towards the Alchemists.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m sorry, but I wasn’t really paying attention to all the surrounding drama. All I did was a perfect rendition of the family dog hearing the word ‘DINNER’ everytime Adrian Ivashkov popped up amongst the pages.

After a plethora of supposedly epic love stories peppering YA-Lit today (which for the record have left me plain cold)....I am actively rooting for the super practical Sydney Sage and the super-sarcastic Adrian Ivashkov.
To put it simply:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Lily.

09/22/2012 page 247
59.0% ""Do you know why I don't like him? Brayden? Because of what he said."
"Historically inaccurate. Who the hell looks at you and says 'historically inaccurate?"

"I don't care if he's not the emotional type. No one can look at you in this dress, in all that fire and gold, and start talking about anachronisms. If I were him, I would have said, 'You are the most beautiful creature ever seen walking the earth.'""