★Meghan★'s Reviews > The Mediator, Vol. 1: Shadowland / Ninth Key

The Mediator, Vol. 1 by Meg Cabot

Sep 26, 2011

bookshelves: dead-tree, fiction, read-in-2012, young-adult, ghosts, paranormal, fantasy, romance, supernatural, paranormal-romance, vampires, superheroes, urban-fantasy
Read from February 14 to 21, 2012

This book is 4.5 Stars (with a leaning toward 5 stars).

I really liked this book. The writing was good. The characterization for Susannah (the main character) is really good with her kick-ass attitude.

Since there are 2 books in the one I will give 2 different reviews.

Shadowland
Susannah has just moved to northern California from New York City. She is not excited about her new house or her new school which are both really old buildings because she is can see, hear and talk to ghosts. When she gets home she finds a ghost in her bedroom, Jesse. He died probably around 150 years ago and is a continuing story probably through most of the books since he was in the 2nd book as well. At the school, she finds out that the priest/principal is also a ghost mediator like herself and has gotten rid of all the ghost except for one. Heather. Heather died about a week before Susannah started school and is refusing to leave until she has had her ex-boyfriend come to terms with being with her even if that means killing him.

I actually really liked this one because the main character is not only seeing ghost but a really logical thinker and doesn't think like the "popular" kids do. Even if she is automatically seen as a person that will be extremely popular. The only thing I didn't like about this book was that the climax was a bit faster than I would have liked.

The Ninth Key
In this 2nd book of The Mediator series, Susannah is just starting to settle in at her new school and is even starting to date some cute boys from the local public schools. However, she seems to be getting in way over her head when her next ghost exhibition leads her in search for a "Red". This book is a bit of a murder mystery mixed with a bit of kick-ass.

I think this book has a little more of the teenage angst, but still solidly good. What I love about these books is that it keeps you entertained and wanting to read more and to find out what happens next. Especially once you pass the initial settings of the books and get into the actual story. Both books had really good story building.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mediator, Vol. 1.