Mitchii's Reviews > Saving June

Saving June by Hannah Harrington

Oct 02, 11

bookshelves: arc-or-galley-review-copies, drama, young-adult, stand-alone, realistic-fiction, 2011-reads
Read from September 26 to October 01, 2011

3.5/5

If you like books with the right amount of drama and contemporary music to set the mood in the right tone. Saving June by Hannah Harrington is perfect for you.

What I like the most with this book was the incorporation of music. I love music, and I’m very much in love with the songs featured in this book. Embarrassing to say, I wasn’t aware about Eric Clapton’s Tears in Heaven. I love those tiny bits of information I learned, this was the part I truly enjoy best when I was reading the book. I really thought that this is going to be heavy drama of a girl grieving over her sister’s death—not just death, her sister killed herself. It was sensational, attention grabbing, thought provoking. But I’m glad it was more than that.

I’m glad the author decided to tackle teenage issues in a subtle way. I don’t like it when authors put their characters in a situation just to convey a message without even thinking if it was a rational thing to do. If it was REALLY important to do so. Or if it makes the characters grow. Because I’m a type of reader who really dwell on that matter. I’m actually relieved Ms. Harrington delivered it cautiously with substance.

I’m a bit torn with Harper. I liked her (well, just sometimes) but at some point I was really infuriated with her. I don’t know if I’ll accept the excuses that she was grieving, or simply it was hormones that led her to those horrendous decisions. But even so, it wasn’t a logical explanation for me of her action. I can’t help frowning and shaking my head with disappointment. Just no, Harper. Just no. In the end, I didn’t like her that much. And I wasn’t sure if she matured after all she’d been through. Hopefully I just missed it. But she wasn’t an effective narrator for me.

But the great part (actually my fave) was Jake. Ok, by this time you SHOULD know this already. I love musician. There. I said it. Musician who creates music from their soul. And oh boy, Jake is just like that. My empathy for this boy is all in rage. I loved him. He was delicately, soulfully crafted character. I must say I wasn’t surprise by the particular twist because I saw it coming miles from where it was revealed (though mine was overly dramatic). But it didn’t make his character less likeable. Knowing that actually shoots the swoon level in a massive outrage. And yes, my likeness of him includes Joplin. There is certain cuteness to guys who named their wheels. Well, that’s just me.

Overall this book was nice. While it didn’t give me that emotional depth I was aiming for when I decided to read this book. But it somehow gave me a piece of my objective (huge thanks to Jake, and the music). I liked this book, you should try it too.

**Thanks Netgalley and Harlequin Teen for the galley!**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving June.

09/27/2011 page 27