Michael's Reviews > Pop. 1280

Pop. 1280 by Jim Thompson

Sep 26, 2011

bookshelves: noir, crime, mystery, pulp, 1960s, country-noir
Read from September 26 to October 06, 2011

High Sheriff Nick Corey acts like a simpleton, he doesn’t arrest anyone, he doesn’t stir the pot, he acts and behaves the exact way everyone wants him to act; well at least the way he thinks he should act. But this kind and gentle nature is just a cover from his sinister attitude. But has this side of Nick always been there, or was this just a result of always acting the way he thinks he should?

The way Nick Corey acts, the lies and manipulating as scary; it’s like Jim Thompson is holding a mirror up to the reader and says ‘See, this is how you act’ (well maybe it was just for me). But with all the raging I was doing at Nick Corey, I almost missed just how brilliant this book really is.

Jim Thompson is very experimental with his writing, and while he never really got the recognition he deserved when he was a live, his books are dark, gritty and always ringing an element of truth in it. No one has ever done characters quiet like Jim Thompson; characters that always hiding their true nature and acting the way people want them to act, while hiding the darkness. Fans of pulp novels will enjoy this book, but people looking for a light, easy read then this book will not do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pop. 1280.

Melki Glad you liked this one - I already ordered it.
Please...no quiz this time.

Michael Melki wrote: "Glad you liked this one - I already ordered it.
Please...no quiz this time."

I only quiz people on classics not on Pulp

Melki I'll be sure to avoid all classics in the future.

Michael I don't really have any quizzes ready

Melki Well, hell then...War and Peace will be next!

Michael Hahahaha, Good luck with it, I'm still too scared to start that one

message 7: by Sam (new)

Sam Knowledge Lost wrote: "Hahahaha, Good luck with it, I'm still too scared to start that one"

I was too scared to read Anna Karenina, but found it really fluent to read when I finally decided to give it a try. I haven't read War and Peace though.

Michael Anna Karenina was great