Kate's Reviews > Ashes

Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick

Oct 03, 11

Read from September 26 to October 01, 2011

It took me a lot longer than it should have to read this book...because I was honestly afraid to read it too close to bedtime. Dystopian zombies abound in YA novels now, but there is something brilliantly haunting about Ilsa Bick's ASHES, which plunges us from page one into a world where some kind of electromagnetic current has altered the brains of virtually everyone alive, killing many, changing others into bloodthirsty monsters, and leaving others changed in different ways. Alex, who's left home for a last, long hike in the mountains before the brain tumor in her head takes any more of her, finds herself aligned with unlikely travel companions after the "Zap" and must find her way to safety. But ultimately, is anywhere ever safe in a world like this? This novel is an amazing look at good and evil in the face of crisis and how the lines between them may blur. Chilling, heart-racing, and fast-paced, it's way smarter than your average zombie-novel and will have readers of books like The Hunger Games and Divergent waiting breathlessly for the sequel.

Loved it and recommend it to everyone with a penchant for thrillers and a strong stomach for gore.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashes.