Zoe 's Reviews > Someone Like You

Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen

Jul 10, 08

Recommended to Zoe by: Hannah
Recommended for: to someone who needed a time filler book
Read in June, 2008

This book was straight up Sarah Dessen (Queen of teenage girly books that all have the same plot but are somehow still good), but I was disapointed by the choice of main character.

I've heard all about the bad boy boyfriend, the pregnant best friend, the writer mom, but I wanted to hear the story from the point of Cameron! How out of the blue would it be to read a story about a boy who moves into a new town and befriends a pregnant girl whose baby's father is dead?...(and perhaps is in love with her, but DOESN'T push a relationship on her???)
I would rather have that story!

But, Dessen would not write that story, because she sticks to her own "personality-less main character girl who's secondary characters are much more 3-D" book genre. Oh well, we don't read the books for the main characters anyway...we read them for the lead romance, right? The lead boys are always great characters, right?

wrong. Macon was a shallow, stupid, stereotype. Too bad.

by the way, WHAT SORT OF NAME IS MACON?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!? It was so distracting...every time I read his name, I had to stop and think, "How weird is that name? Macon, Macon, Macon. Oh look, Macons makin' bacon! Bacon, thank Macon for makin' you. Thankon, Macon!"

You can see how that would be distracting. Other than those two things, It was a nice story...Michael and Scarlett were great characters.
I loved the medieval boyfriend...he added more to the story (for me) than Macon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Someone Like You.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Liz Great review - that was exactly what I was thinking the whole time I read the book.

Katrina I know right? I loved the book but since you said it, the book about Cameron totally TOTALLY would have been better...

Emmaleigh Lipscy Here is the dthing if you want a plot line where the girlfriend is pregnant, but not by you watch the show secret lief of the american teenager. Granted the father is not dead in this show, but by watching Ben, you can pretty much get the jist of what Cameron is going thorugh in the first couple episodes in the first season. Overall I loved the book, it drew me in with the first paragraph, I was done with it in two days, altough I wanted to punch Macon in the face. Complete jerk... but... well there is no protagonist without and antagonist

message 4: by Matthew (new)

Matthew i like macon

CassieLynn Covel My son's name is Macon

Julie S. The story from Cameron's point of view might have been interesting...

message 7: by Matthew (new)

Matthew cute

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I have never read a Dessen book before, but I can't understand this..your whole review is full of "But...no, no, no,"s and yet you gave this 4 stars out of 5. Why?

Mathura I thought Cameron was so interesting... I liked Scarlett and Cameron the best. Okay, I admit, I really did like Macon (his name, omgsh, wth...) before everything. wonder

Abbey I agree with you about Macon. He was an oaf.

message 11: by herhairsonfire (new)

herhairsonfire I think Macon is just a fancy/weird of of spelling Mason.
Snaps & claps for Sarah Dessen's unique naming skills.

message 12: by Karli (new) - added it

Karli LOL I haven't read this book, but the "macon" part is hilarious. I agree, I've only read the description and I was just thinking, "What sort of name is Macon? It sounds like bacon." XD

Pamela I think this book was made to be a book on friendship and not love. :) So, no show for Cameron.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I gotta agree with you. I mean, what kinda name is Macon? But then, Dessen gives a lot of weird names. Or, maybe that's just bcus I'm Australian?
And yeah, I agree about the "personality-less main character girl who's secondary characters are much more 3-D"ness of her books. It kills me everytime.

So.... just some advice from all of yous- should I bother to read this book when I have a list of seemingly better books to be reading, or should I wait until my ever-growing list has been exhausted? :P

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen This whole review had me laughing out loud. Thanks though, I'm only part way in and I'm ready to give up. I believe I will give up as this book isn't going to get any more interesting. I just don't think Sarah Dressen is for me --

Marieme i dont think it would be good if it was told from cameron's point of view

message 17: by Kate (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kate "Thankon, Macon!"!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's hilarious!!!!! I had the worst time with his name too!!

Waneeka Husain You know I'm more curious to know how Macon got different cars , why he started dating Elizabeth , and what the response from Michael's mom was

Cassidy His name bugged me sooooo much! Every time I saw it I thought "do you pronounce it like mason or or makin???" haha I think it is supposed to be mason but it annoyed the spelling annoyed the crap outta me.

Emily Smith I want this from the POV of Cameron too. I'd never thought about it that way, but that would be a much better story. Thank you for bringing this to mind.