Ben's Reviews > The Runes of the Earth

May 03, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy_and_sci-fi
Read in April, 2008

Having only recently read the first two series, I did not have to wait 20 years for Mr. Donaldson's new book. I think that may have affected my enjoyment of it, since parts of this book seem to be a nod to longtime fans who have been waiting for the further adventures of Linden Avery.
This reminds somewhat of Tad Williams' "Shadow" series at this point--it's great to be back in familiar territory, and as a fan both of the author and the genre, I don't really mind that this installment represents "more of the same" in some ways. However, it seems that in an attempt to top the crises of the past series, the depiction of the Land and its attendant dangers are a bit overwrought.
Also, as has been noted in other reviews, this book seemed more like exposition for the next three. Having read partway through the next book at the time of this writing, I can say that I don't mind. However, it doesn't stand as well on its own.
Worth the read for fans of Linden Avery--but you won't be seeing a great deal of Thomas Covenant here. I felt a little cheated, since it seems obvious that Covenant will be making more of an appearance as time goes on, and he's the character that I've grown to respect and identify with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Runes of the Earth.