Mahlet's Reviews > Naked in Death

Naked in Death by J.D. Robb

Oct 20, 2008

bookshelves: thriller-mystery-suspense, own, romance, series, favorites, audio-paperback
Recommended to Mahlet by: Shazzy
Recommended for: fans of exciting, romance mysteries more on the darker side
Read in October, 2008 , read count: 4

If you’re interested in a sexy, dark thriller with passion, tension, and an awesome strong female heroine, you will love this book! The author gets right to business with NY homicide detective Lieutenant Eve Dallas arriving at the grizzly crime scene of a murdered “licensed companion” or “LC”. The year is 2058, and prostitution is now regulated, but legal. Not only was this LC the granddaughter of a U.S. Senator, she was also brutally killed with an antique weapon. The killer has promised 5 more additional killings, and Eve is under personal and political pressure to wrap this up quickly. Eve is a by-the-books officer with a strong moral compass, and she’s extremely passionate and capable in her duties to protect the community. The killer immediately takes an interest in Eve and brings up ill feelings about her dark past she would soon like to forget.

One prime suspect is sexy and mysterious Irish tycoon Roarke (just Roarke). Although he can certainly have almost any woman he wants, it’s substance he craves. Roarke finds Lt. Eve Dallas intriguing and very arousing, and soon, Roarke is using her investigation to wiggle his way into private time with Eve. I absolutely loved the dialogue and chemistry, and I pretty much lit up whenever Roarke and Eve were together. Eve is tough and independent but she’s damaged under it all, and Roarke wants to be the man to break down her walls. Will she let him? And what would happen if the lead detective in a high profile serial killer investigation becomes sexually involved with a prime suspect? And would it be just sex?

OMG, this book was satisfying, from start to finish. The futuristic aspects weren’t at all overwhelming…Just little things here and there, like “automated” machines that make your breakfast, futuristic cars, that sort of thing. The core of this book is murder/sex, mystery, and passion—all of which are very relevant today. I highly recommend this first book in J.D. Robb’s “In Death” series. Enjoy~

12 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naked in Death.

10/16/2008 page 142
48.3% "FANTASTIC! Dark Thriller, Futuristic, Smart Sexy Heroine, Playboy “Maybe” Prostitute Killer…and the audio reader is talented to boot! "

Miss Kim I like this series, however Eve got on my nerves at first. She grew on me after a few of the books. I've only read up to Holiday in Death. I too found the futuristic stuff kind of dumb. And Roarke? I've yet to meet a reader that didn't just love him!

Mahlet I know, Roarke was so addictive!! I love the rich, sexy "playboy" types that DON'T go for the stereotypical airheads.

At first, Roarke's Irish lilt took some adjusting on my part. But once I got use to it, I couldn't get enough of that sweet accent! I already put myself on our library's waitlist for Book #2. I can't wait to continue with this one.

Teryl The In Death series is awesome. It took me a long time to really like Eve, we are talking 10 books or so into the series, she is so abrasive. After a few books, you don't even pay attention to the future stuff.

I love Roarke...he is on fire. I love most of the side characters too. I love watching them all grow.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Perfectly said, Mahlet! This is a brilliant story. I can't wait to get my hands on the next audio book!

Mahlet Thanks UM! I feel another re-read coming on :)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Mahlet wrote: "Thanks UM! I feel another re-read coming on :)"

I'm re-listening while I wait for book 2!