Laura's Reviews > The Blue Fairy Book

May 03, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: juvenile, read-2008, review-on-blog
Read in June, 2008

What I did while reading this book was I wrote short little notes for each story, so that in the future I could look back and see which stories were worth reading again, or recommending. I gave each story a mini-rating of 1-3 asterisks (*), with 1 being the "horrible" and 3 being "just okay". Overall though, I was severally disappointed in this book of fairy tales.

The Bronze Ring: *This story was slightly shocking. The way they dealt with the evil man in the end was a violent. I did not like the portrayal of the “good guy” in the end, how he treated the bad guy and tricked him. Instead of winning fair and square he resorted to cheating so that he could look more impressive. The part about the mice was also a little random; it should have just ended without mentioning them.
Prince Hyacinth and the Dear Little Princess: **This was a quant little tale, it had a better moral then the first story, other then that it was unremarkable.

East of the Sun and West of the Moon: *This story had some slight scandalous elements to it and I didn’t think that it was all that well suited for a children’s tale.

The Yellow Dwarf: *I really don’t like unrealistic fairy tales that don’t even have a happy ending. What was the point of this story?

Little Red Riding Hood: **Oh my goodness! This is not the tale I learned as a child! But at the same time, it is realistic.

The Sleeping Beauty in the Wood: *So the first part of the story was fairly similar to what I remember, but no wicked witch like what’s in the Disney movie. And then the second part of the story was really rather dreadful…I didn’t care for it at all and could see why it wasn’t commonly known.

Cinderella; or the Little Glass Slipper: ***An interesting take on the Cinderella story, I liked that it wasn’t in one night that the prince was in love. I also liked that Cinderella forgave her step-sisters and got them good matches.

Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp: *Mostly the same tale I grew up with, only with an addition that is very similar to the first part of the story.

The Tale of the Youth Who Set out to Learn What Fear Was: *Okay, what is up with all these grim and weird tales? I didn’t care for this one at all. Definitely not the kind of story I would ever recommend.

Rumpelstiltskin: ***This story is pretty much the same as I remember it. The only difference is that the girl marries the King, instead of the King’s son…(apparently, he’s not married) I’ve always wondered though, how could the Miller have told the King his daughter could spin straw into gold? Couldn’t he have seen that the King would have wanted to see something like that, didn’t he think about what would happen with the King found out it wasn’t true? Another thing, the Miller’s daughter marries the king who is under the assumption that she can spin straw into gold, now we see how greedy this king is, how on earth is she suspposed to survive after Rumpelstiltskin has torn himself in half? What if one day the king goes up to his wife and says, “why don’t you spin some straw into gold honey” what is the millers daughter going to do then?

Beauty and the Beast: ***So this fairy tale is pretty much the same as I remember (not the Disney version, Disney has a way of scrambling up the details) but I didn’t remember her having five sisters and six brothers.

The Master Maid: * I really didn’t see the point of this story, I don’t see why they should always make the evil people suffer such violent deaths.

Why the Sea is Salt: **A rather random and harmless story.

The Master Cat; or, Puss in Boots: *I never will understand how a puss in boots can go about commanding people to do his bidding and nobody evens notices that they are taking orders from a cat! This story really hasn’t changed much, I just don’t care for this story.

Felicia and the Pot of Pinks: ***a pretty random fairytale, but I liked it a lot better then most of the rest I’ve read, for this one didn’t have any violence at all.

The White Cat: ***a fairly nice fairy tale, I thought it was somewhat of a sweet little story, but I don’t really know how I feel about people falling in love with cats…

The Water-lily. The Gold-spinners: **I just have one question: if it was so easy to poision someone, why on earth didn’t they do it at the beginning of the story!? Other then that, it was a nice enough tale, although, some times I thought the characters were somewhat stupid.

The Terrible Head: *Why do people always pop out of nowhere and offer to give these wonderful and magical things so that the main characters can accomplish their quest. Overall I was not impressed.

The Story of Pretty Goldilocks: **Well, this is pretty much the same old, “you must complete these quests before I can consent to whatever you are asking for” fairy tale. Only this one has a slight twist for it is the best friend asking the beautiful princess to marry his Master. I really think that it is rather rude for a girl to have the gall to ask someone who has just done the impossible to do it again! Why are they never satisfied with the first task? Ah, the ending was a little weird, a very convenient thing that That should happen.

The History of Whittington: **This was a story with fairy tale elements pretending to be a history lesson, I don’t think it pulled it off.

The Wonderful Sheep: *Ack! What kind of fairy tale is this?!!? This ending was absolutely horrible! I would never dream of reading this story to a child.

Little Thumb: *This story was not worth reading, the parents were pathetic examples of humans and I thought that the youngest child was very greedy and an ungrateful little brat who took more then he deserved.

The Forty Thieves: ***It’s nice reading a story for once that has a brave girl who saves the day. Although, at the same time, there is some pretty gruesome deaths, which isn’t a plus if you just want to read a happy little story.

Hansel and Grettel: **This story's beginning is remarkably similar to one I read only a couple pages ago, what is up with that? This story is pretty much the same, but I can’t see what sort of mother would ever even consider leaving their children in the woods in the first place. It was also convenient how stupid the witch was – who else would stick their head in a burning oven? The last line in this story was totally pointless, it had nothing to do with anything and was just a jarring annoyance.

Snow-white and Rose-red: **Lame story, why on earth would you let a bear into your house and how did the mother know that it was a “kind and honest” bear? The ending didn’t make much sense either, and those girls were too young to marry so what did they do? Wait a couple years?

The Goose-girl: ***I thought it was really interesting to see how Shannon Hale wove in the details from this story to make it into something absolutely fantastic in her book, "The Goose Girl" The original is okay, but it was a little random in details and some parts were so coincidental that it seemed fake. I’d tell people to skip this story and just read Shannon Hale’s book, “The Goose Girl.”

Toads and Diamonds: *The prince saw diamonds and jewels falling out of the girl’s mouth and fancied himself in love with her…awwww, how sweet. Makes me want to marry him. What a stupid little tale, for one thing, they can’t count. The witch says that for ever word the girl speaks a flower or a jewel shall fall out of her mouth, and when she gets home she says 10 words but only 6 items fall out of her mouth! And then the same thing happens to the other girl, only, since she was rude she has toads and snakes falling out of her mouth. But when she speaks two words four animals fall out! Who cannot do their math?

Prince Darling: **Oh please! That was my reaction when I finished reading this story. I thought it was rather pathetic and lame.

Blue Beard: **An okay story, definitely not one that I would want to read over and over again. I didn’t feel as if the plot of this story was very good either.

Trusty John: *Ugh! Why do people never do what they are told? And why do they even keep pictures like that in the castle if they know that it will bring harm to the prince? It’s also awfully convenient to have Trusty John hear the three ravens talking about what will befall the prince and how convenient that he can understand the birds speaking and they just so happened to be flying near their ship. There were a lot of other flaws that made this fairy tale unenjoyable, especially the ending, what the king and queen were willing to do to get their “dear friend” back was absolutely appalling! No one would have made that choice, nor should they have had to make it in the first place, it was unreasonable and selfish on Trusty John’s part.

Whoops! It seems that my review was a tad bit too long, for the rest of my review please check out the link below.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blue Fairy Book.

03/16/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Meredith (new)

Meredith What exactly do you mean by that?

I must have been about 12 when I read this book. It was summer, and I would sit in one of our trees reading it. I think I remember it as being pretty good.

Laura yeah, I read it about the same age....when I was a lot younger (haha, like I'm so old now) and I remember the fairy books as being delightful little books with lots of strange and wonderful stories. So I thought that maybe I'd reread them to kind of get my fairytaleness back and then maybe I could get jazzed enough to write a super cool story and get it published and become famous! soooo....I checked it out, and you know what? if I am going to read a fairy tale, I want a happy ending! some of the stories did NOT end up happy and some of them were kind of violent, not something that I would encourage young children to take the morals into account "yes child, this guy was bad because he cheated, so therefore he must be chopped up into seven pieces.."
hahaha, it's really interesting reading this again, I'm not sure how the rest of the stories are going to go, but Princess Gwendolyn said that maybe I should check out the Red Fairy book....oh well, you know how I can absolutely not stand not finishing a book.....

message 3: by Meredith (new)

Meredith well, I DO remember some of them being rather violent, but I think that was part of the thrill of reading it. Was the Blue Fairy book the one with Blackbeard in it? 'cause that story is a leetle creepy. If you want more fairy tales, I read a book called something like "the Complete Annotated Classic Fairy Tales." It's a large, yellow book with tons of illustrations & side notes on the history of the fairy tales--stuff like that. It's really quite good. If you don't like it, I'm pretty sure that 'Gwen' would.

Laura hahaha.......um, so far I haven't have a blackbeard yet, but I'm still reading so it may come up later.....cool, I might have to check that book out, it does seem like something that would be right up Gwendolyn's alley.....she still refuses to get a facebook by the way....how annoying is THAT?!!?

message 5: by Meredith (new)

Meredith lol... tell her I NEED her to get a FB account!