Drebbles's Reviews > Afterlife

Afterlife by Claudia Gray

Sep 26, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read in June, 2011

Against all odds, Bianca and Lucas have fought hard to be together. Now they face their toughest challenge yet - Bianca is a wraith (wraiths have long been hated by vampires) and Lucas himself has become a vampire, a creature he once hunted as a member of Black Cross. Lucas and Bianca have taken refuge in Evernight Academy - a place neither one of them is totally comfortable in. Both are right to be wary - their biggest battle is yet to come.

"Afterlife" is the fourth and final book in Claudia Gray's Evernight series for young adults (the first three are Evernight (Evernight, Book 1), Stargazer (Evernight), and Hourglass (Evernight)). The entire series has been full of surprises and after the shocking events in Hourglass (Evernight) I was afraid Grey had written herself into a corner and was anxious to see how "Afterlife" turned out. In the end, I think it both succeeds and fails. There were times when the book was boring (Bianca floats around Evernight an awful lot) but Gray managed to throw in just enough surprises to keep the book interesting. Lucas has always been a borderline character for me (I didn't like him in the first book, but he grew on me in the second and third books) and he pushed the envelope a few times in this one with his brooding. For the most part Gray does an excellent job of tying everything together (there are a few loose ends, however, and some characters completely disappear without their storyline being adequately wrapped up). As to what happens with Bianca and Lucas in the end, I won't spoil it for readers except to say that while young adult readers will probably accept the ending as it is, the old adult in me found the ending to be full of plot holes and would have loved an epilogue showing all the characters 50 or 60 years down the road.

"Afterlife" isn't perfect but it is a nice wrap-up to the Evernight series (and fans will no doubt look forward to Baltazar's new series).
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Afterlife.