Brenda's Reviews > The Shadow of the Wind

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Oct 21, 14

bookshelves: historical-fiction, literary-fiction, library-bookclub-reads, books-about-books
Recommended to Brenda by: Michael
Read from October 19 to November 03, 2011

What an absolutely amazing book! A book within a book. The parallels between the characters is brilliant, and keep you guessing all the way through.

Young 10 year old Daniel Sempere was still grieving the loss of his mother, when his father took him to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books for the first time. His father, who owned a prestigious book shop which specialized in rare collectors' editions and secondhand books in Barcelona, told him never to tell anyone, not even his best friend Tomas about what he would see that day. In keeping with tradition, Daniel was to choose a book, any book he wanted, and adopt it, keeping it safe so it would never disappear, forever.

After wandering the gloomy corridors and dark, musty aisles for some time, Daniel was drawn to the corner of a shelf, and he knew with certainty that this particular book was the one he was to have...this book was going to adopt him! He picked up The Shadow of the Wind by Julian Carax. He had never heard of this title, nor the author, and little did he know the profound effect it would have on his life, and the lives of the people around him.

Journey with Daniel through the years, as he searches for Julian Carax, as he discovers the horrors of what happened to Julian's friends, and the mystery surrounding his life, and the lives of the beautiful Penelope, the enigmatic Miguel, the terrifying Fumero, and the devotion and trust of Daniel's dear friend Fermin.

This story is an amazing blend of thrilling yet tragic, touching yet scary, murderous yet romantic....it will keep you enthralled to the very end, and then you'll be wishing for more!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow of the Wind.

10/24/2011 page 129
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Carmel (new) - added it

Carmel Wow what a glowing review, sounds amazing Brenda! I just love reading your reviews, they are so good!!!

Brenda Thanks Carmel! Was an excellent tale, and I'm grateful to KL for putting me onto it!

message 3: by Carmel (new) - added it

Carmel A number of the YA group have read it and I've had it on my TBR list for awhile, but like most things it's taking the back seat!! Someday!

Brenda It's very long, and small print as well, took me longer than most I read, but so very worth it! Wait till you have some holidays, where you can do not much else but read;D

message 5: by Carmel (new) - added it

Carmel Would be lovely, I certainly will look forward to reading it!!