Mandeep's Reviews > The Lost Boy

The Lost Boy by Dave Pelzer

Sep 26, 2011

liked it
Read in September, 2011

This describes his life from age 12-18 - and how he became a ward of the state, and what it was like for him.

Although the author strikes me as having heavy optimistic/idealistic leanings (which although wonderful and probably what helped him survive and thrive... can be a little suspect), I liked his first-person experience account of how in his case the foster care system did work. He touched on the fear some of these children/young adults must feel once they turn 18 and now are completely on their own. I imagine how much more terrifying this would be than the usual angst of trying to decide what to do with your life, but with the support of your family.

He also described his tendency to get into trouble stemming from a need to fit in somewhere and stand out well - meaning it was a different perspective that I was able to feel compassion for, despite the horror my goody-two-shoe side was feeling at some of his decisions.

I didn't like the rehashing of some of the child abuse he experienced (which he covered pretty graphically in his book A Child Called It).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Boy.