Rebecca eley's Reviews > The Return

The Return by Victoria Hislop

Sep 27, 11

bookshelves: other
Recommended to Rebecca by: Me
Recommended for: People who liked the first book or books that show you a little history
Read in September, 2011, read count: 1

The book tells the story of Sonia and her journey to Spain where she uncovers the tale of one family’s tragic journey through the Spanish Civil War. The majority of the book is taken up with the history of the Ramirez family. It does touch on Sonia’s personal journal but not in nearly so much detail. It is definitely more about the history and for that it is more than worth reading.

I started reading the first five pages so many times and it just didn’t grip me at all. However as I am on a mission to read all of the previously dismissed books in the house I have now read it all the way through. I am very glad I did. The story soon leaves Sonia for the Ramirez family. I have to admit I really knew very little of the Spanish civil war. The way the atrocities are personalised results in a very touching story. Families and towns were torn to pieces and everyone suffered.

The bits about Sonia let the book down for me; she was a bit like an aside to get to the history. Her husband is too much of a mismatch to make you feel like she is really struggling with any emotions. As a character I would go so far as to say Sonia was a little irritating. If she had been completely cut from the book it may even have scored a five star from me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Return.