Jess's Reviews > Fables, Vol. 2: Animal Farm

Fables, Vol. 2 by Bill Willingham

Sep 26, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novels, fairy-tales-folklore-mythology, series, read-in-2011
Read in September, 2011

While the human Fables reside in exile in New York City, the non-humans and more conspicuous fable characters are exiled to a farm in upstate New York. In Fables, Volume 2: Animal Farm, while Rose Red is fulfilling her community service punishment as dealt in Volume 1, she and Snow White are caught in the middle of preparations for a non-human revolt against the human city dwellers, led by none other than Miss Goldilocks herself.

This is a fun series so far, a unique twist on the legends and stories we know so well, but for me it is lacking something to make it truly special, and I can't quite figure out what exactly is missing. The deepening relationships between characters - especially between Bigby and Snow, Snow and Rose - are beginning to be further explored. The characters themselves are becoming sharper, I like how Snow's hardline approach to policy is countered by her vulnerable naiveté in dealing with people, how Bigby's gruff exterior hides a depth of feeling, how Rose Red fights feelings of inferiority to her sister with rebellion. The artwork is impressive too, especially given that so much of this story is related through the animal characters - they're quite expressive at times - though the artwork is more skewed toward realism than the whimsy you would think would suit fairy tale stories, which lends the story world an edge.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fables, Vol. 2.