La Petite Américaine's Reviews > Reading Lolita in Tehran

Jun 14, 08

bookshelves: loved_so_much_haven-t_the_words, middle_east, auto-bios-etc
Recommended for: Anyone too Smart for The Kite Runner
Read in June, 2007

**One of the best books ive ever read**

I don't know what to say. I'm still reading this, I'm about half-way through it. It started as a seemingly overly mushy account of a woman's bond with her female students while reading forbidden Western literature in Iran. What kept me reading was the undercurrent, the sense that the author had experienced something huge ... I hoped she'd eventually get to it.

Well, she did.

I could go on for several paragraphs about why I appreciate this book, but I'll sum it up by saying that it underlines the importance of art in the most unimaginable of circumstances (and this is coming from someone who is weary of "oh, how my home country oppressed me" books -- as the authors usually benefitted from the regime until it turned against them -- then they go West and write the horrors others experienced and rake in the cash).

This is the kind of book a person should read if they want a true and intelligent account of life under extremism in the Middle East. Throw The Kite Runner and the Saudi Princess bogus trash to the dogs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reading Lolita in Tehran.