D'artagnan's Reviews > The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge

The Teachings of Don Juan by Carlos Castaneda

May 03, 2008

Read in January, 1987

** spoiler alert ** I live by this shit, something I rarely admit, but it's true, death is always on my left, beings of light, all that goofy stuff, all around us, all the time

while not always readable (I left a couple other of his books unfinished), Castaneda tapped into something beyond himself here

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Teachings of Don Juan.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

D'art, how interesting to me that you give this five stars. I've found that it's losing its luster half way into the book What am I missing here?

D'artagnan The reasons that I gave it 5 stars has to do with how thought provoking it all turned out to be for me. I found a lull in the middle too, like Castaneda had tried to fill in with his own thoughts rather than pass down knowledge from beyond, and he's kind of a dork. So, it may not be a five star piece of literature in classical terms, but it did amaze me, and I went on to read more of his books, re-read most of that one, etc.

Probably the way I seek something more, that step up, caused me to see a connection between me and Carlos, recognize his stories as ones that had, or that would eventually, happen to me. Also, I was 17 when I read it, and very full of myself. Don't feel like re-reading it now, and don't expect that feeling to change.