Arthur's Reviews > The Curse of Lono

The Curse of Lono by Hunter S. Thompson

Sep 26, 11

This is the Hunter Thompson book you've never heard of, but really want to read. It's mostly about how crappy Hawaii is. It has the best ending of any of his stuff I've read, hands down.

Getting the book though is another matter. The paperback of it has been out of print since the early 80s. It's only produced now by Taschen, the art book company, as a big 60 dollar coffee table book. And they only started really printing it about a year after the first batch of 1000. The first 1000 Taschen put out were signed by Ralph Steadman, Thompson's artist and partner, and numbered. You can find these first 1000 on used book pages on BN.com or Amazon for around a thousand bucks, making it one of the more pricey things I know of on those used services, besides that Madonna Sex book from the early 90s.

So basically if you want to read it, you're screwed, unless of course you know somebody that has a DRM free digital copy. But who would possibly have one of those?
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curse of Lono.

Susan Holymary. This is a rare collectible now? Well of course it would be , since I loaned out my copy a few years ago and it disappeared.... If you love HST as I do, and still grieve for what we've lost, you might want to google the official website of Ralph Steadman, who illustrated "Curse of Lono" and "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." It's almost as if Thompson's other half is still creating.

Howard It's on Amazon now at a modest $20, new! Hardcover and much larger than the 1980s paperback.