Londonmabel Mabel's Reviews > Persuasion

Persuasion by Jane Austen

Sep 25, 2011

bookshelves: 2own-fiction, f-comedy, f-historical, f-chick-guy, f-romance, 1ebook
Read on September 24, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 3

This was always my second fave Austen after (of course) P&P, but I hadn't re-read it in years. As ever it's a lovely romance, and Anne is a sweet heroine. The new things I noticed though...

The father has some great comedic lines that I don't think get played up enough as comedy in the filmed versions--he's a hoot!

Interesting that the book is quite anti-classist, but as usual Austen's pretty much a snob when it comes to what she considers good character. And that just hides another classism, I think. For example, I know Mrs Clay is basically supposed to be a "gold digger" but what else is a woman supposed to be in those days, if widowed, with children? In terms of character--Mrs Clay and the father are certainly equals. (And Mrs Clay is less horrid.)

Not that I blame Austen for being classist, who couldn't be back then? But it's a weird juxtaposition with all the "How dare x be such a class snob!"

Anyway, just shows there's always something of interest when you re-read a well written book. ;-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persuasion.