Sheree's Reviews > Cross Currents

Aug 26, 12

bookshelves: own, contemporary-fiction, read-in-2012, reviews
Recommended to Sheree by: Staci
Read on July 25, 2012

The gorgeous cover of Cross Currents caught my eye and after reading Staci's glowing review (Life in the Thumb), I knew I had to have it (... something that happens regularly when I visit Staci's blog.) What a beautiful story, having spent 3 weeks in Thailand years ago I immediately felt I'd returned; mesmerised by the breathtaking beauty of Ko Phi Phi and it's people.

With tender insight Shors describes the interactions between Thai family members Lek, his wife Sarai, her mother Yai, their three children and American brothers, Patch and Ryan, the day to day happenings on Ko Phi Phi island and at 'Rainbow Resort'. Sights, sounds, smells, it's all so vivid you feel a part of it, invested in these people's lives, their joys, sorrows and troubles.

I liked the honesty with which Shors portrays the relationship between locals and tourists, the struggle emotionally and physically to eke out a living, the importance of family to the Thai people.

John Shors has a special gift, not just for storytelling, or giving a wonderful sense of time and place but in making you care about the people - because he cares deeply. I had no idea I would be so completely captivated by the characters and care about them so much.

In Cross Currents, when the catastrophic tsunami of 2004 devastates Ko Phi Phi ... I cried a bucket load as I did when the tragedy occurred. Obviously this devastating event received much media coverage, living in Australia, with Thailand being a popular Australian tourist destination maybe even more so, and John Shors covers it with sensitivity and respect.

Profoundly touching, Cross Currents illustrates the depth of strength, love and human kindness we are capable of and leaves you, not with overwhelming sadness but hope.

Another favourite read for 2012, if John Shors' other novels are as breathtaking as this one I'm in for a treat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cross Currents.

07/25/2012 page 50